Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Your eyes don't work like lenses....



One of the first things I tell people when they get started in photography is that lenses "see" differently than your eyes do. That is, they offer a much broader range in terms of field of view, as well as having the ability to isolate a subject through selective focus.

In this example, as I was walking around a busy marketplace in Hoi-An, Vietnam, the one thing that stood out to me was a small concrete bridge across an adjacent waterway.

Although the scene beyond the bridge was rather cluttered and busy, through the use of selective focus with my telephoto lens, I knew I could keep the bridge in focus while throwing the distracting background out of focus and nicely soft.

On top of that, the bridge was beautifully backlit, so all I had to do was wait.......

And waiting...as always...generally pays off!

Nikon F4 with Nikkor 180mm f2.8 lens

Sign up for our hands-on photo workshops here!


No comments:

Post a Comment